Sunday, July 20, 2008

Crazy Bible Stuff

Today I was reading this passage in Genesis. I've read this before, and learned this before, but it still strikes me as the coolest craziest stuff, ya know?


Genesis 5:18-24

18-20 When Jared was 162 years old, he had Enoch. After he had Enoch, he lived another 800 years, having more sons and daughters. Jared lived a total of 962 years. And he died.

21-23 When Enoch was sixty-five years old, he had Methuselah. Enoch walked steadily with God. After he had Methuselah, he lived another

300 years, having more sons and daughters. Enoch lived a total of 365 years.

24 Enoch walked steadily with God. And then one day he was simply gone: God took him.



Okay, first of all- Jared had a baby when he was 162! Isn't it funny when you are considered "old" for having a baby when you are "middle aged" like 40ish? This was SUCH a different world and a different time, and then he lived to be 962!

I just think about what a cool world it must have been if people were living this long. The gap between birth and death was so enormous! These people had so much life experience, and were probably so wise! The earth had little disease at this point, and people were probably never sick. Wouldn't that be cool? To live in a world that was free of chemicals, hormones, pesticides, disease, bacteria ect...?

The Enoch has a baby at 65, which is old in our culture, but he must have been such a baby back then! And then the coolest part of the passage- Enoch didn't die, but he went to Heaven. That would be so amazing! Can you fathom it? You are fully aware the whole time!

I was just reading this this morning, and I wished someone was there so I could be like "Dude, this is so cool, isn't it?" And- no one was there, so I thought I would share it with you guys!

post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're talking about my son! Before Jared ever met me, he had decided that his first son would be named Enoch, because of this particular passage. That the geneology says that Enoch is the son of Jared and Enoch never died, he was taken by God. At first, and even now, I'm a little hesitant. That's kind of an odd name! I said, "Can that be his middle name?". NO WAY! Absolutely not! So that will be my first son: Enoch Alexander Reasy.

Lisa said...

It's hard to wrap our minds around what it must have been like then. The world was such a different place.

Unknown said...

It is by total chance I came across this. And I mean no offence, however, is this a humorous post? You folks are not sincere in a belief that at some point in history human beings were able to live 962 years, right?

Also, that time "way back when" that was so neato also involved mutilating and raping and enslaving women, children, adulterers, infidels, etc etc. If you believe every word.

So you were kidding right? I just feel a weird feeling of concern...

Peace, Love, and Empathy

Andrew