Tuesday, March 18, 2008

1st Anniversary!


One year ago today, I married the man of my dreams. It was the very best day of my life.
We met at a high school football game, and started dating when I was 15 and he was 17. We dated for 6 years (2 1/2 of those years long distance), and went through everything together!
He proposed to me on Mendenhall Glacier on a trip to Alaska (diamonds look even better next to blue ice, let me tell ya!) and six months later, we were married!

It was a perfect day. We had a "destination" wedding in Long Beach, CA at the Ebell club. It was a vacation for almost all of our guests, and so many came early, stayed late and enjoyed a whole week of fun!

The day was perfect, I remember waking up with pure joy and peace probably the most I have ever felt of either of those emotions. My bridesmaids-all seven of them, consisting of my closest friends and sisters took care of me all day.

As I waited to walk down the aisle, it was a moment that seemed to last forever (in a good way), I paused and really took in that moment. I remember talking to my wedding planner (the best ever, and a girl I hope will soon be my sister in law) she affirmed me and gave me my last minute instructions. My oldest friend (since 2nd grade) was my maid of honor, and we talked about being young, playing barbies and dreaming of this moment. I had a LONG walk down the aisle, from the second floor balcony. I walked all the way around to "Somewhere over the rainbow". I walked down the stairs and met my dad at the bottom as the traditional wedding song played. That was the the moment I saw his face....
I saw him whisper "Oh my gosh" as he took his first glance of his bride. I was overwhelmed with emotion, yet more at peace then ever. The moment by dad lifted my veil, gave me a kiss on the cheek and gave me away was the only moment I began to cry. Here was the man that had lead me, protected me, provided for me, and guided me, and he was handing over all of those responsibilities to the man I love. His love had prepared me for this moment, and I loved him so much.

As Wade took my hand and we prayed, my knees shook. I had a hard time catching my breath. I was more in the moment then I have ever been in my whole life, and the unbelievable reality made my body shiver. Wade and I said traditional vows and then read ones that we had written for each other. Those words are so deeply etched into my heart.

My very talented brother played and sang a beautiful song he had written (how cool is that?!) and my friend Searcy read a beautiful modern take on the verse in 1 Corinthians.

As we were announced as "Mr. and Mrs." I knew one thing: God had performed a miracle. In that moment, we became man and wife, He united us under a great covenant. We were soul mates forever united with Him. It was beautiful.

As for the reception, I always said that I wanted it to be the BEST party I will ever throw. So, what was important? Food, Music and TONS of fun.

We had the most yummiest food, OH I still dream about it. If my dress had not of been so tight, I would have eaten SO much more.

We had the most AWESOME live band. They got everyone on the dance floor, and united everyone from my grandparents to my young nephews, and they kept the party going all night. We had a ridiculous amount of fun.

There is just nothing cooler then having EVERYONE you know and love all together in one room, it was so much fun.

EVERYONE stayed until the very end, when we did our last dance to "At Last" by Etta James, and everyone lined up with sparklers, and as the song ended we ran through the sparklers, and jumped into a very OBSCENELY decorated care. :)

I had expected the inevitable things to go wrong, the flowers being wrong, this vendor being late, this person causing drama, the service being bad... ect... but no... everything went perfectly, and it was amazing.

I somehow always doubted the greatness that people talked about on their wedding days. It seemed almost impossible to me, for this day to live up to the PERFECT expectation I had always dreamed. But, it did, and it was even greater then I could have ever expected.

I felt SO deeply loved by Wade, so connected to him, and as we partied with our loved ones, it was OUR party, and we were so deeply connected in every moment of it.

It's been such a wonderful year, and I can't wait to see what the Lord has planned for Wade and I.

Today was a great day.

I am so honored to be my Husbands Wife.


post signature

12 comments:

Skippin' Rope said...

Happy Anniversary!

You are such a beautiful writer Carrington. As I was reading this post I was able to so vividly remember your wedding day. It was so beautiful and such an honor to be a part of.

I know I've said it already but it's the truth, you and Wade are an amazing inspiration.

Your love story is beautiful.

Love you!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my goodness! I can't even believe I didn't even know you then. How is that possible? What a PERFECT day. This is so special. Happy Anniversary!

Steph

Jordan said...

Happy Anniversary sweetie. You're wedding definitely was FUN! I have so many awesome memories of that weekend. By the way, did you get my card? And the little goodies inside? :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful post, Sis. I remember like it was yesterday!

Unknown said...

What a great read! This post flowed so well.

That really was the best wedding I've ever been to. Enough tradition to really make it memorable and tons of unique and special things that we'll never forget. *I* won't forget being hugely pregnant and jumping around dancing like there was no tomorrow. I loved how by the time that last song ended, it was just the two of you dancing (did you even notice?). I love how appalled mom was at what the groomsmen had "drawn" on your getaway car. I love that the day brought our beloved Janine and John back together.

I hope you can continue to celebrate all week the special and glorious gift God has given you. You deserve it!

Oh and if your marriage is one then that means my baby is almost one and that means I might have to have another. I have an addiction to babies. If that's wrong I don't wanna be right!

Mimi's Toes said...

How wonderful...Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

happy anniversary! such beautiful love note to your hubbie! great post

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your wedding sounded AMAZING! Happy Anniversary!!

You gonna be there this Thursday?

Trish said...

I have been to Ebell Club. My good friends got married there two years ago. It is a gorgeous place. Thanks for sharing your special day. I felt as though I was there. Your descriptions are so lovely.

Anonymous said...

Your Mom and I were thinking about you more than usual yesterday, remembering the big day and how wonderful it was. And then I read your blog post today, and tears come to my eyes thinking about it even more vividly. My love for you seemed to spill over when I took your hand as you walked from the stairs, my breath was taken from me, and I don't think I took another, all the way down the aisle.

Thank you for the vivid picture you paint. I will remember it always and thank God forever for bringing you to me and your Mom as our beautiful daughter.

Love you daughter.

Dad

Lisa said...

Happy anniversary! Good times! On May 8th it will be 16 years of marriage for me and my man.

E said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Marriage is a wonderful thing!