Friday, December 14, 2007

Birth Story

What does it feel like to experience a miracle? Amazing.

I think that so many people are quick to talk about all the things that went wrong in their labor/deliveries, and not quick enough to talk about all the miracles and wonderful things that happened. I've only been a mother for a short time now, but let me tell you...its really cool.

I'll start from where I left off in my last post. I continued to have mild contractions throughout the day until around 10 PM. Wade and I had taken two long walks around the neighborhood to get things going, and oh boy, did they! My midwife soon arrived and I went straight for the labor tub. Laura (my midwife) recommended not checking my progress since my water had broken so soon, so that we wouldn't take the chance of infection.

For the next 6-7 hours my contractions progressed and things got really intense. I can actually say that I understand those women that say that their labor and birth was an enjoyable experience. It was definitely the hardest and most painful thing I've ever done. However, it was amazing. I was at home with Wade, my mom, my sister, my Doula and my midwife. The lights were dim, I had relaxation music on and candles lit. Every contraction I had Wade in the tub with me pushing my hips together (because of the back labor). I leaned over the side, my mom held my hands, my sister coached me, and my Doula helped me focus my energy and breathing. Let me tell you... I was in a zone! I've never experienced that level of surrender. It was a beautiful experience to see what my body could do, and what my mind could do.

My contractions had progressed to the point where we thought I was in transition about ready to push. My contractions were 2 minutes long and about a minute apart and REALLY intense. Laura decided to check my status and we figured out that Capri had turned face up and I was only dilated 2 centimeters! I was having the type of contractions that you have when you are ready to push the baby out, but I had barely even dilated! After that, I got out of the tub, Laura gave me a shot to help me sleep (everyone took a break). However, I couldn't get a break or sleep because of the intensity of the contractions. I labored all morning until around 10AM I started to talk with Laura about what my options were because I knew I didn't have anything left. With the support of Wade and all the ladies we decided it was best to go to the hospital. Laura said, "You either need to be resting or progressing", and since I wasn't doing either we decided to go in for the help that I couldn't get at home (AKA the drugs!).

At this point, I was really upset. I felt like I was going to be giving up everything I wanted, and I was going to have to defend everything I didn't want, and I was going to have to fight them on everything. I was SO afraid of the hospital and what that might mean for Capri and I. We ended up going to Porter county hospital, found an awesome Nurse-Midwife and had such a great experience. The hardest part of my labor was the time I left my home until I got the epidural. I had to be in the car, get to the hospital (and to labor/delivery) and fill out paperwork, sign wavers and get changed, all while having the worst pain of my life! I had no coping skills since all my labor had been all set up, focused and in water. The Midwife at the hospital told me that the epidural might not reach the back labor pain I was having (comforting right?) However, God is awesome, and the drug was awesome, and I finally got some relief. We had a little scare soon after I received the epidural because my blood pressure crashed, I threw up and felt like I was going to pass out (even though I was laying down). They gave me some blood pressure medicine and I was okay. I was praising God that Wade had stepped out of the room for some food when it all happened because he would of been so worried. It got a little scary for a moment there with nurses running around, and machine alarms going off, but it was soon over, and I was feeling much better.

I was able to sleep and get a ton of rest. I was able to enjoy some time with Wade and my girls and talk about how amazing the labor had been at home, and they all shared what an experience it was for them. We had some great moments as the petocin kept me progressing and the epidural kept me pain free. We had some Christmas carolers come by. I asked them to sing "a child is born today" even though I didn't even know if that was a song! They sang away in a manger as Steph and Arianne made fun of them (discreetly, of course). We played Capri's song called "Capri" by Colbie Colaitt and all of us sat in silence and just took in the "moment". Then we all laughed as Arianne came out of the bathroom AFTER the song had ended, and really sad that she had missed the "moment".

Things soon progressed and I started pushing. It was really hard at first because I really couldn't feel anything. I was trying to feel when a contraction was happening (so I could push with it), but I was also trying to actually push with muscles I couldn't feel! I got the hang of it, and it was so incredible. As I was pushing her out she started turning to "take the path of least resistance" and everyone could see her little head turning like a corkscrew as she was slowly pushed out.

The moment when a baby arrives is like no other. The emotion and energy in the room is high that everyone is crying and you really do feel like you are witnessing a miracle. I had the privilege of being at my nephews birth and it is so beautiful. Wade caught her and they pulled her up on my chest. She was so upset and beautiful, and we had such a sweet moment. We were three...we were a family...oh my gosh!

We left the hospital the next afternoon and welcomed her into her home! Wade and I have loved every minute with her so far, and can't wait to get to know her.

Thank you for all your love, support and prayers. They were felt all week long. Praise Jesus for the absolute miracle He created. I will do my best to keep taking pictures and posting them.

Well, Merry Christmas everyone! We got the best present ever this year!

XOXO

8 comments:

Skippin' Rope said...

when you talk about that moment...the moment your child is born in to the world...and you see her and get to hold her...I know exactly what you are talking about. You wrote it so beautiful that I cried Carrington.
I know your birth didn't go exactly as planned but it sounds like you turned into exactly what you wanted anyway! You are a strong woman and to be able to do all you did and stay positive takes a lot. I'm proud of you Carrington.
Thanks for sharing your story. It's beautiful. I love you

Unknown said...

Ah Carrington, what a sweet post. Reading it made me feel like I was there with all of you. I'm glad everything went well, even though it didn't go as planned. God's plan is always the best plan, no matter what. Giving birth is amazing, and I am so glad you got to experience it. You will be an amazing mom, Capri is lucky to have you!

Love,
Jen

Life With All Boys said...

You brought tears to my eyes. So many things in life don't go as planned. I'm proud of you for not focusing on what didn't happen, and focusing on what did. Porter was awesome with me and how I wanted things done too. Can't wait to meet her!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you were able to write all this out already, it shows you are in a really healthy place with how things went. She is perfect, as you know, and you are already a natural. Some day she will read this story and feel so loved. Can't wait for each time I see her, I miss her when I go just a short time!

mamamilkers said...

What a great birth story! I was transferred with my first daughter, so I can relate to what you went through.

My littlest daughter has the same middle name as Capri. So sweet!

I'm so glad I found your blog through Steph :)

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story. I love your positive outlook. Birth really is miraculous and motherhood is amazing.

She's a beauty, by the way...

Unknown said...

What a great story! You totally brought me into your world. thank you so much for sharing.

I'm so proud of you and what you have gone through. I can only imagine how proud Wade must be too as a new father.

You have a talent in writing and I can see your personality shine through. Great job and congratulations on being a new mommy.

I can't wait to meet her!

Anonymous said...

Things are finally calming around here so I could hop online and read this!! I ended up having back labor and needing an epidural too. The whole time I was thinking I was a huge whimp and going against everything I believed (I had natural labor with my Beast) but it was so worth it in the end!!!